Saturday, October 2, 2010

3 Weeks!

Right now I am sitting here updating my blog, dipping some italian cookies in my hot chocolate and getting ready to watch "L'Era Glaciale" (Ice Age in italian)...haha life is good! :)  Since my last posting a lot has happened so I'll try to give a quick update.
I've started school and so far it is going well...actually i should say the stuff i understand is going well.  haha I'm in some classes like philosophy, history, physics and Latin, which are difficult classes to begin with, but trying to understand them in Italian is even harder!  I just take it one day at a time though and keep working on my italian (fluency is the goal right now but it seems to be coming quite slowly).   I’m getting better at understanding what people say to me (as long as they talk slowly), but I still am not very good at responding.  I just can't wait for the day I wake up from having a dream in Italian! :) Back to school, all the kids in my class are really nice.  They really try to include me in everything that is going on and help me out with the language.  School here is different in several ways from school in America.  Here, the kids stay in one classroom and the teachers move (so you have all your classes with the same people.)  At first, I thought I wouldn't like this, but it's actually been nice because I've been able to get to know the people in my class pretty well.  Another difference is with the sports and clubs.  All extra curricular activities are done outside of school.  As of now, I haven't joined any teams, but maybe I will. Outside of school, I've been keeping busy.  I have been on walks through the piazza, visited some of the historic Castles, and have even done a little shopping.  I love all the architecture and scenery here!  It's beautiful, and the history behind it all is very interesting to me!  Last weekend, I had my first Rotary orientation and the drive to the meeting was gorgeous!  At first glance everything just seemed kind of brown to me, no full green trees like I’m used to seeing.  But then once I really started to look around, I notice the natural bare beauty of it all.  It’s almost like the land was untouched by man (except for the road).  Natural peaks and valleys surround you and then all of a sudden you can see a city up on a hill.  You see the houses all packed in together and the historic buildings in the center.  It’s beautiful and almost indescribable (i'm disappointed i didn't have my camera with me to take pictures of it all)!!!  I will try to upload what pictures I do have though. As far as the food goes, I'm still enjoying it all.  I have now experienced Granita (which i love) and Arancini which are Sicilian specialties (granita is like an icey ice cream and arancini is a fried thing with rice and tomatoes and meat in the center.)  I think that is about all i have time for, Ciao for now :)     

2 comments:

  1. Your adventure sounds fascinating. Enjoy yourself.

    Your Houston Cousins!

    ReplyDelete